Right marginal artery
Citation, DOI and article data
The right marginal artery, also known as the acute marginal artery or right intermediate atrial branch, supplies the surrounding right atrial tissues 1,2 and, in 10-15% of cases, provides the main arterial supply to the sinus node 3,4.
Its origin is marked by the presence of a small fatty excrescence or a cardiac vein adjacent to the artery that drains into the wall of the right atrium 5.
The right marginal artery passes to the left along the acute margin of the right ventricle 1,2. It often has a much higher origin and passes obliquely down over the front of the ventricle 1.
- 1. Boppana VS, Castaño A, Avula UMR, Yamazaki M, Kalifa J. Atrial Coronary Arteries: Anatomy And Atrial Perfusion Territories. (2011) Journal of atrial fibrillation. 4 (3): 375. doi:10.4022/jafib.375 - Pubmed
- 2. McMinn RMH, editor. Last’s Anatomy Regional and Applied. 9th edition. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1998. ISBN: 9780729537520
- 3. Vieweg WV, Alpert JS, Hagan AD. Origin of the sinoatrial node and atrioventricular node arteries in right, mixed, and left inferior emphasis systems. (1975) Catheterization and cardiovascular diagnosis. 1 (4): 361-73. Pubmed
- 4. Krupa U. Studies on the coronary vascularization of atria of the heart. (1982) Folia morphologica. 41 (2): 207-15. Pubmed
- 5. Busquet J, Fontan F, Anderson RH, Ho SY, Davies MJ. The surgical significance of the atrial branches of the coronary arteries. (1984) International journal of cardiology. 6 (2): 223-36. Pubmed
- 6. O'Brien JP, Srichai MB, Hecht EM, Kim DC, Jacobs JE. Anatomy of the heart at multidetector CT: what the radiologist needs to know. (2007) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 27 (6): 1569-82. doi:10.1148/rg.276065747 - Pubmed
- 7. Sunil Kini, Kostaki G. Bis, Leroy Weaver. Normal and Variant Coronary Arterial and Venous Anatomy on High-Resolution CT Angiography. (2012) American Journal of Roentgenology. doi:10.2214/AJR.06.1295