Chest x-ray: ET tube position (summary)
Chest x-ray ET tube (endotracheal tube) position should be assessed following initial placement and on subsequent radiographs.
This is a summary article; we do not have a more in-depth reference article.
- tip 5 cm above carina
- width 2/3 tracheal diameter
- cuff should not expand the trachea
- tip may extend past the carina
- malposition most commonly see the tip in the right main bronchus
change in position
- ET tube tip position is dependent on head position
- tip position changes depending on neck flexion/extension
- tip position may change by up to 2 cm
- neck flexion makes the tip move downwards
- neck extension makes the tip move upwards